Sexual assault gained attention on the campus in 2013 when a group of protesters interrupted an event for hundreds of admitted prospective students, chanting "Dartmouth has a problem!" and drawing attention to the college's handling of sexual assault, among other issues. The protest sparked a backlash on the online forum Bored at Baker, with users threatening violence against the protesters, prompting the college to cancel classes for a day.
Less than a year later, an anonymous user posted a "rape guide" on Bored at Baker, which targeted a specific female student. The college condemned the posting, and said the anonymous poster had been identified and was going through the college's disciplinary process. The woman identified in the post said she was sexually assaulted in a fraternity house weeks after it was published.
Dartmouth was one of the initial 55 colleges under investigation in this wave of federal enforcement as announced by the Education Department in May 2014.
The institution has affirmed its commitment to victims of sexual assault, collected resources online, and referred all investigations to an independent investigator, among other things.
All undergraduate and graduate classes in the arts and sciences at Dartmouth College have been canceled for Wednesday after a student demonstration sparked a backlash that included violent online threats against the protesters.