Sexual assault gained attention on the campus in early 2014, when the student newspaper reported that a football player had just been expelled for sexual misconduct that was said to have occurred in November 2009. The student government investigated the university’s response to the incident, finding no explanation for the four-year delay.
Michigan was one of the initial 55 colleges under investigation in this wave of federal enforcement as announced by the Education Department in May 2014.
Students have protested the institution’s handling of sexual assault.
A female student who filed a federal complaint against the institution in November 2014 for allegedly mishandling a reported sexual assault also sued two alleged perpetrators.
In a separate case, the university reversed its judgment against a male student it had found responsible for sexual assault in 2012. He had sued the university, arguing that the disciplinary process violated his due-process rights and led to the wrong conclusion.
In another case, a male student who was found to have violated Michigan's sexual-misconduct policy sued the university in September 2016 arguing for his reinstatement, the Detroit Free Press reported. The female student who had accused him of rape subsequently sued him.
The institution has affirmed its commitment to victims of sexual assault, collected resources online, conducted two climate surveys, expanded training progams, and created a special victims unit within the campus police department. It has had a Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center since 1986.
In the university’s own climate survey, released in June 2015, 23 percent of female undergraduates reported experiencing nonconsensual kissing, touching, or sexual penetration in the past year. Less than 4 percent of all students said they had reported those incidents to university or law-enforcement officials.
About 30 percent of female undergraduates said they had experienced nonconsensual penetration or sexual touching due to physical force or incapacitation since arriving on the campus, according to a climate survey by the Association of American Universities released in September 2015. About 40 percent of all students believed it was very or extremely likely that the university would conduct a fair investigation.
Letter from the U.S. Department of Education to the institution informing it of the investigation and requesting data.
This investigation is based on at least two complaints: one in August 2013 alleging that the university failed to respond adequately to a reported rape of a female student in 2009 by two football players; and another complaint in January 2014 alleging that the university failed to respond promptly and equitably to reports of sexual violence including one in August 2012.
As part of the investigation, federal officials listed 21 requests of the institution, including the details of every sexual-misconduct report since 2011, and planned to visit in April 2014.
The U.S. Department of Education's investigation into how the University of Michigan handled the investigation into sexual assault allegations against former kicker Brendan Gibbons continues, officials said this week.
Officials from the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights will be visiting the University of Michigan next week as a part of its investigation into the university's sexual misconduct policies.
According to a letter sent by the department on Monday to former U-M employee Doug Smith, the office has received two complaints in the matter. Smith filed one of the complaints in August 2013. It's not known who filed the other complaint.
Brendan Gibbons, the Michigan football team?s starting kicker for the past three seasons, was permanently separated from the University of Michigan last month for violating the University?s Student Sexual Misconduct Policy, according to documents ...